Sclerotherapy Leg Vein Treatments
Sclerotherapy leg vein treatments involves a series of tiny injections leg veins which are delivered directly into the vein causing it to collapse and close, stopping the blood flow.
Thread veins on the legs are a common cosmetic problem. A lot of patients consult our Vein Clinic for advice on the best treatments for leg vein removal. Although there are a number of alternative treatments available sclerotherapy remains the gold standard.
Price €300 per session
Sclerotherapy at a glance
- It is a non-invasive treatment
- Treatment is quick and easy – you can get the treatment done on your lunch hour!
- Your veins may resolve completely.
- Sclerotherapy tends to be better than laser treatment for leg veins.
A sclerosant is injected using a tiny needle into veins, causing the lining of the vein to become swollen and sticky. Compression stockings are then applied to close the vein. Over a period of time the vein will heal closed and fade away. Sclerotherapy is not a suitable treatment for varicose veins.
Multiple sessions may be required to obtain desired results, often up to four treatments may be required. In rare cases treatment does not work therefore Results cannot be guaranteed. Up to 80% improvement can be expected.
What happens during my treatment?
A solution is injected into veins. This is a relatively painless procedure as very fine needles are used for the injection process.
What are recommendations prior to treatment.
Body oils, lotions, and creams are not advised for 24 hours before your injections. Dress in loose clothing in order to accommodate support stockings. Recommended after- care instructions
- Wear support stockings day and night for 72 hours after injections. You can expect your thread veins to look worse after treatment at this stage. After 72 hours wear support stockings during day for 7 days.
- Avoid extremes temperatures for 14 days
- Avoid sun exposure and waxing for 4 weeks
- Avoid aggressive exercise i.e. Gym for 2 weeks.
If you are planning air travel this must be discussed at your consultation.
What are the possible side-effects?
Pigmentation may occur even though this is rare. It occurs when the vein is not entirely closed and blood becomes trapped and clots. The iron pigments can stain the skin brown. These brown marks are temporary and resolve in 6-12 months. It is necessary to avoid sun exposure because the pigmentation can take longer to fade after sun exposure.
Matting can also happen if the blood vessel is damaged during the injection process resulting in a blue/ red bruise. Usually this resolves completely in 6-12 months. If it persists further treatment with sclerotherapy is usually advised.
Rare side effects are as follows
Allergic reaction including Itching at the injection site after injections is not unusual. This usually resolves without any intervention.
Blistering can occur, albeit rare. This occurs when solution enters surrounding tissue. This may leave a small residual scar.
Who is not suitable for treatment?
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women
- If you have a history of thrombosis (DVT) or Pulmonary embolism
- chronic diseases such as cardiac, liver, kidney and lung disease
- Connective tissue diseases such as lupus
- On warfarin
- Recurrent skin infections or cellulitis
- If you have varicose veins.
Is sclerotherapy an option for me if I have varicose veins?
No. If you have varicose veins you should attend a vascular surgeon to have your veins stripped first. Once this has been performed you can return to have your thread veins. To date, the use of lasers to treat leg veins are not as effective as sclerotherapy.
Summary: Laser thread vein removal is more effective for facial veins, whereas thread veins on your legs respond better to sclerotherapy.
For further advice contact us on 01-2000500 to schedule an appointment for leg vein removal treatments.
New Technology- Better Care
Treatment Now Available – Slievemore Clinic will offer doppler assisted leg vein assessments. Treatments will also be carried out using a VeinLite device which will highlight all your veins more effectively. This means that treatments will be more effective.