Fungal Nail Treatment
They can be caused by walking with your feet unprotected in warm moist environments such as saunas and swimming pools, sharing towels with infected people.
Fungi infect the nail and spread deeper into the nail causing it to discolour and thicken. There are also people prone to suffering from this condition, such as those with Diabetes; male patients are prone to infections, those with peripheral vascular disease and those of increasing age. Although anyone can get a fungal infection at any time and because it is highly contagious it spreads very quickly through family members.
What are the symptoms of fungal nail infections?
- Brittle nails
- Nails that appear to crumble or appear ragged
- Nails distorted in shape
- Nails dark in colour
- Nails curled up from the nail bed
- Possible pain
- Dull nails with no lustre or shine
- Thickened Nails
What does laser treatment involve?
You should attend the clinic with no nail polish on your toes and you should bring a new pair of socks with you to your appointment. The treatment involves passing a laser beam over the infected nails and the surroundings skin repeatedly, until enough energy has reached the nails bed, you should expect your nail bed to feel quite warm during treatment. The treatment takes about 45 minutes.
|Fungal nails Laser Treatment||Price|
|Consultation fee (redeemable off cost of treatment)||€50|
How many treatments are recommended and what is the fee?
We recommend three treatments, every four weeks to ensure the infection is completely gone, although this will vary between patients. As the nail grows out the new nail should be healthier, we will carry out a review to ensure that everything is going as it should. You will need between 3-6 treatments and the fee per treatment is €150.
Advice for Fungal Nail Patients
- Apply fungal cream or spray (Daktarin or Lamisil cream) twice daily on the toe nails, between the toes and on the entire foot up to the ankle for about 2-3 months post laser. Fungi in the nail should be killed instantly with the laser; however you need to treat the surrounding skin to prevent re-infection.
- Use Anti-fungal powder/spray in all shoes twice a week for 4 weeks post treatment.
- Sterilise shower with thick bleach for 10 minutes. Wear flip flops for future showers to prevent cross contamination to others in the house hold.
- Throw out all old socks as Fungi will be present in them or launder them at 60 degree wash.
- Launder towels and bed sheets in a 60 degree wash.
- Change socks daily. Ideally wear wicking socks (dry fit socks) which pull perspiration away from your feet.
- Wear open toe shoes when possible to allow air to the toe nails.
- Sterilise the interior of all shoes with Fungicidal product or ideally throw shoes out.
- Keep nails short. Clip fungal nails last, to prevent fungus spreading.
If you are suffering from a Fungal Nail Infection please call our laser clinic on 01 685 3100.